Monday, March 21, 2011

The Nobody Chronicles: Chapter Two (part three)

        Seriously, sometimes I honestly wonder if I’m the practical joke of the universe. Of course, I have absolutely zero idea what I’m supposed to say to him now, since he is watching me with those wide, green eyes, hand outstretched, probably regretting that he had ever opened his mouth in the first place.
       “Umm…I…uh…I can’t seem to find my phone” I stammered, flashing what I hoped was an apologetic smile rather than the nausea induced grimace I was sure actually had taken over my face.
       “No worries. Just program in your number and I’ll text you so that you have mine.” He said, smiling as he passed me his phone.
       Focusing all my energy on not shaking as I typed in my name, and resisting the urge to name myself “Your Future Wife Miriam Finklestein”, I entered my number into his beautiful Iphone 4. It was funny. I mean, half the kids at my school have the Iphone, of course I don’t because that would violate my mom’s brand rule, but somehow his felt special. Yeah, yeah, it’s probably just because I think about the fact that his hands are all over it the whole day and he keeps it in his back pocket sometimes and he may even sleep next to it (please remember I’m not creepy just observant) but still, it felt warm and perfect in my hand.
       To be honest, a part of me didn’t want to hand it back to him. Not like I was gonna add it to some sort of shrine or something (at least not right away) but how movie moment magical would it be if I like stole his phone and then gave it back to him and he fell in love with me and we lived happily ever after. Sure, that usually happens when the two people have never met each other first, and the guy usually calls and just hears the girl’s voice or he calls and someone else picks up and he isn't expecting the model-esque bombshell that meets him at a coffee shop to give back the phone, but whatever, it could work for me too.
       Unfortunately, he didn’t seem to be surfing my brain waves and took the phone out of my hand, tucking it back into his jeans pocket.
       “So…I’ll see you around, I guess.”
       “Yeah. For sure.”
       “Bye”
       “Bye”
       With a sigh, I watched him walk away, pulling his iconic pizza delivery bag over his shoulder as he disappeared into the crowd of students that were now sprinting full-speed to class. Like any love struck teenager, I of course failed to notice that the tardy bell had already rung and instead was watching the place where he had just stood, running the whole scene through my mind and, as always, wishing I had said something different so that I would have been super desirable and he would have whisked me away to behind the gym where all the popular kids hook-up during class and all that jazz. But of course, as I'm not even that good of a student in 11th grade basic science, I haven't figured out time travel yet and thus am doomed to a life of constant regret.
      Anyway, once the hallway was actually completely empty, I came to and, still giddy from the encounter, rushed off to my next class.

2 comments: