Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Nobody Chronicles: Chapter Two (part two)

          “You fall a lot don’t you,” He said, from somewhere above me and slightly to the left. His voice had laughter in it, which I definitely did not expect since I had just pummeled him like he was bowling pins and I was one strike away from my perfect game.
       “Yeah. I guess today just isn’t my day.” I said, with a giggle, attempting to stand up in a graceful-ish fashion (obviously I was unsuccessful.)
       Once standing, I could see that, despite being mauled, he still looked absolutely perfect. His curly, reddish-brown hair was mussed up just enough to look cool but not like he was trying too hard. His eyes, a rich green, were wide but friendly looking, like a meadow or something. His lips, I hate to say it, were super pink and inviting, like the lollipop lips they give out before Valentine's day for us losers who don't have actual lips to kiss.
       After a moment of standing in awkward silence, as we both brushed ourselves off, trying to get rid of whatever disgusting gunk had attached itself to our bodies from the hallway floor, he said “So, I’m actually glad I ran into you.”
       Okay, so I’m not joking here. I know, it sounds too good to be true. It sounds like we are heading down a road of gumdrop rain and candy corn trees, where fantasies come true and everyone rides around on unicorns all day, but I swear to you, that is what he said. Of course, I’m sure he didn’t mean it quite so literally, but the basic sentiment of the statement remains the same. HE WANTED TO SEE ME!! I actually heard the little voice in my head screaming in excitement! Honestly, it took all of my self-control not to hug him right there on the spot and profess my undying devotion and tell him I had already picked out our kids’ names.
       “Oh really, what for?” I replied, trying to keep my voice even and hoping that he didn’t notice the fact that I could not stop smiling.
       “You do costumes and like art and stuff for the theatre program here right?”
       “Umm…yeah…I mean I guess…”
       If I had died at that moment, I swear to goodness I would have been content. I mean, sure, it would have been better if he had pulled me close and kissed me full on the mouth, but in my brain his words had just done the exact same thing. He knew what I did!!! Not that it was anything too exciting, but still, he noticed what I did!
       “Okay cool. Well, my mom is running this thing at the elementary school for my little brother, and umm, she wanted me to ask you about maybe working on the show or something. I guess like someone told her that you do theatre or something. I dunno.”
       Not even the fact that his mom had to tell him who I was could ruin this moment. He was asking me to spend time with him. There he was, standing in front of me, inviting little old me, wallflower and nobody Miriam Finklestein, to spend time with him.
       “Oh. Yeah. That sounds cool. Umm…when exactly is it and like how much of a time commitment.”
       Truth was, I didn’t really care how much time it was gonna take. In fact, I was secretly hoping he was gonna be like “it’s gonna take like five hours a day every day from now until the end of time.”
       “I’m not really sure. It shouldn’t be too much. Why don’t we like, exchange numbers or something and I can let you know more when I know.”
       Hands shaking, and sweating, I clamored through my bag to find my cell phone. Seriously, I had imagined this moment so many freaking times, and here it was, here he was, standing in front of me offering me his phone to put my number in so he could call me later.
      Now, as you probably are all too aware, whenever your mind betrays you into having some sort of expectation for something the actual moment doesn’t go anything like it does in your mind, and then you're totally disappointed by a moment that otherwise would have been absolute perfection. For me, of course, right now was no exception. There I was, the guy of my dreams finally asking for my phone number AND giving me his in return, and I'm fumbling through my bag like an idiot only to find that, surprise surprise, my phone is missing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment