Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Nobody Chronicles: Chapter One (part five)

       “What do you think you’re doing?” She snapped at me, ignoring Warren’s presence completely. I couldn’t help but think of the irony of the situation. I mean, here I am, the girl constantly trying to get noticed, and then, when I finally am, I’m getting yelled at by a 50 year old woman for who the hell knows what!
       “Oh…I’m just…I needed a band-aid” I said, about as inarticulately as a person could possibly say that simple of a sentence. Out of the corner my eye I thought I noticed Warren smile, his perfect blue eyes sparkling with laughter.
       “And you just thought you could walk in here and take it?”
       “I mean…you weren’t here and I didn’t wanna miss so much class…” I continued, feeling my face grow red and hot. Sure, nobody likes getting confronted for things, but I have a special hatred for it. In fact, it’s probably the reason I’m such a goody-goody all the time, like I totally subscribe to the fear of punishment method of keeping people in line,
       “Did you even sign in?” The nurse snapped, glancing at her sign-in sheet, which I, of course, had neglected to sign when I came in.
       “Well…I…I didn’t”
       “You didn’t think did you?” She interrupted, “None of you kids ever think. You figure, ‘hey I’m ruler of the world, rules don’t apply to me, I can just do whatever I want.”
       “That wasn’t…”
       “What’s your name?”
       “Miriam…”
       “Miriam what?!”
       “Finklestein. F – I – N – K” I began spelling out my last name for her.
       “I can spell, ya know.” The nurse shot me a look, as if by trying to help her out with my name I had somewhat insulted her intelligence.
       “Oh right…I’m sorry…It’s just sometimes hard to spell.” I looked down at the sheet, which she had placed back on the front of the desk. My name was spelled wrong, but I figured at this point it was better to just try and get out of there.
       My hands shaking, I signed myself out, although if you looked at it you would have no idea what it said. I don’t get why confrontations like this got me all worked up, but I actually felt sicker now than I had when I first walked into the nurses’ office. Anyway, there I was heading for the door, ready to make my great escape off to first period when I feel something pulling me backwards.
       Now, being the clutz that I am, I of course first thought that I had gotten my backpack stuck on the door handle or something and so I whipped around to try and detach myself. Of course, I was not, in fact, attached to the door and instead had been approached by a now quite bewildered Warren Joslin, who had touched my back in some sort of greeting or goodbye or something, and had successfully not only hit him in the stomach with my backpack, which had nearly knocked him out, but also had given him a mouthful of my untameable hair.
       Without looking back to see if he was okay, and with my face now so red it was actually approaching clown-nose ridiculous, I ran out into the hallway just as the bell to end first period echoed through the now empty quad.

1 comment:

  1. oh what a Klutz!
    keep 'em coming-break's boring

    ReplyDelete