Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Nobody Chronicles: Chapter Three (part six)

          “I guess I’ll just say ‘Ok. Looking forward to hearing from you’ and then like a smiley face or something” I said, typing the message into my phone.
       “This isn’t some sort of business transaction, Miri, no need to sound so official”
       “Fine. What do you think I should say?”
       “Well…you want to be flirty, but not too forward” she said matter-of-factly, taking the phone from my hands and deleting what I had just typed. “How about ‘kk! can’t wait!’ and then a winky face? Winky faces are cute and a little less friendly than a smiley. I mean, you send smilies to your mom.”
       Even though she had phrased it as a question, she hit send before I could disagree. Of course, I couldn’t help but notice that all she had done was essentially typed a dumber version of my original message. Like, I don’t know why, but Deanna has this weird thing about girls being dumber than boys. I mean, it’s not that she‘s actually stupid, but I swear, her IQ drops 200 points whenever a cute guy is around. She says that I’m just being silly, but I’ve noticed it every time we go to a party or whatever. Seriously though, put some hipster, American Apparel wearing hottie in the room and for some reason she feels the need to laugh like she's running for Miss America, and act like she doesn’t know the difference between Napoleon and Neapolitan ice cream.
    Luckily, the bell rang just then and, without another word, I ran off to my next class, a nervous feeling growing in my stomach at what he would respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment