Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Nobody Chronicles: Chapter Three (part four)

          Luckily, Warren didn’t follow us, although we could hear his sing-song call from our seat on the bench.
       "Warren sounded pretty jealous" Deanna offered as soon as we had sat down, bringing up the very issue that I had been dreading.
       "Not even!" I said, as if the thought hadn't crossed my mind even though we both knew that it had.
       "Whatever. I don't even care. He isn't good enough for me anyway" She said, laughing and tossing her hair. See, Deanna is the type of girl who loves to do two things. First, she'll insult herself so that you  have to compliment her and then she'll brag about herself so that you have to agree with her. 
       My mom says she has low self-confidence but I don't really believe that. I mean, Deanna is probably the most confident person I have ever met. Half the time I wish I could be just like her. She's like the better version of me. You know, fun, pretty, doesn't let stuff to get to her. Hell! If Warren had treated me the way he treated Deanna I would have been curled up in a ball in my room, sobbing my eyes out, and cursing the day I was born. But not Deanna, she could just keep on smiling, like nothing even mattered.
       “Duh! And besides he was just being stupid, like he always is. I saw how he was all over you before he felt the need to let out his inner eighth-grader and tease me.”
       I could see her smile behind her sandwich and mentally patted myself on the back for being a good friend. I mean, I’m not usually one to brag about myself or anything, but I really am a great friend to the people I care about. Probably has something to do with my need to be loved by everyone and their mother. Oh, and the fact that I care way more about what other people think of me than I think of myself. But, I guess my personality has worse side-effects than being nice to people.
       “His loss I guess. I was gonna let him eat lunch with us, but this is the bench for mature adults, not baboons” She said smiling, but I saw her look over at him with a bit of disappointment in her eyes. It was in these moments that I figured, if I could just see inside Deanna's brain, I would realize that she was just as crazy as I am and was still obsessing about Warren and running the scene through her mind trying to remember every time he touched her and attempting to analyze exactly what he meant by each contact.  Of course, this is all speculation (or probably what Freudians would call projection: because Deanna didn’t show any signs of insane behavior. In fact, instead of dwelling on Warren, she flawlessly turned the conversation on to something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment