Friday, April 8, 2011

The Nobody Chronicles: Chapter Three (part five)

         “BF wouldn’t be who I think it is would it?”
       I nodded, unable to create a coherent sentence and avoiding the overwhelming urge to jump on the bench and do something in the ballpark of a football touchdown victory dance.
       “NO – FREAKING – WAY!!!!!!” Deanna screamed, pulling me into a giant hug. That was another great thing about Deanna. Like, half the time it was all about her but when she wanted, she really knew how to make me feel special. And not like Warren did either, you know, making me feel special so that I'll fall in love with him and then he can crush me. No, Deanna would make me feel special because of who I am, like special because I’m a nobody. I mean, she actually seemed genuinely happy for me, which of course made me feel crappy for being jealous of her and secretly loving when Warren would flirt with me, or whatever it was that he was doing. But, then again, if this was a fairytale she is the princess perfect and I’m the favorite maid, which even on a good day doesn't end with a happily ever after.
       “It’s really nothing. He just wants me to help out with some thing his mom is running or something.”
       “Umm…That isn’t nothing! That is after school hours with the gorgeous, the unattainable, the irreplaceable Blake Finn!” In her classic actress way, Deanna couldn’t resist the urge to make a scene out of everything she did so, as she spoke, she stood up on the bench, addressing the uncaring crowd and fainting as she finally said his name.
       “SHH!!!” I half-screamed, pulling her back down and looking around to make sure nobody had heard her. “Stop it. I don’t want anyone to know that I like him.”
       Deanna laughed, and I could see that glint in her eye that always sorta scared me, that glint that showed me that she knew she once again had the upper-hand in the friendship. It didn’t bother me that much usually. I mean, I guess she needed that power more than I did, but like, I always wondered why she seemed to light up so much at the thought of being better than me, and what exactly that said about our friendship.
       “So…what are you gonna text him back?”
       “I dunno…haven’t thought about it yet…”
       “Well, just make sure you don’t come off too desperate. Nobody likes desperate. I mean, take Warren. He would never like me if I always hung around him all the time and was like always available to him. I have to act like I don’t care, and that will make him want me more.” 
     I felt it was better not to tell her that she hung on Warren like wet laundry on a clothesline. Truth was, I knew she was right, even though she wasn’t making the point she thought she was making. Warren totally took advantage of her, and I totally didn’t wanna end up doing that with him even though I knew all too well that I would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment